GRAFTING SYTEM OF ORANGE TREE
- Background of Study
Grafting is one of the multiplication process of plants but by way of connecting with other plants in different ways. Grafting is a vegetative propagation technique by wounding parent tree branches and wrapped in the planting medium to stimulate root formation. In this technique was not known term rootstocks and scions. Grafting into the vegetative plant. Vegetative plants are plants that do not use the seeds. And has several advantages namely First, bear much fruit. Second, the fruit as same as it source. 1
In an increasingly advanced age, all were almost instantaneous (practical) and fast. For that, many people use this method to produce much fruit due to how easy and quick results without having to wait months and months. This is very useful for most people who want to produce fruit quickly and have efficiency time. This technique is relatively very long history of farmers and the success rate is higher, because of the way of grafting the roots to grow while still in the mother plant. All fruit can be grafting . Included Orange.
- Identification of Problem
After I went to Pasir Mukti, I found some problems in Pasir Mukti about grafting. Afew of them are:
- What is a Grafting system?
- Who is find Grafting system?
- How do grafting on Orange?
- What is diffrents between Fruit product with grafting and Fruit product with normal way?
- What are Fruits or trees that can be grafting?
- Why must be Trees which have fruit that can be reproduced or whether the grafts?
- How much we need to grafting system for oranges?
- How to maintence or nursing for grafting plants?
- What are factor who make society prefer grafting system ?
C . The Limination of problem
Because there are so many problems now in Pasir Mukti about ORANGES GRAFTING SYSTEM, the writers limit the problem in 3 quentions:
- How to Grafting Oranges
- How to nursing for Oranges Grafting system
- Influence between Grafting for Orange
D. The Formulation of problem
In order for this problem can be resolved rapidly and accurately, the writer formulate on the 3 problem which
- How to oranges grafting system ?
- How to nursing oranges grafting system?
- What are Influence between Grafting and Orange?
E. The objectives of study
- To fulfill the task as a Foreign Language class
- To get a score from my report
- As further references
- To know more about grafting system
- To share our knowledge about grafting system
F.The benefits of study
The Benefits I can get, are:
- Gaining more knowledge of how to make report
- Gaining more knowledge about Grafting system
- Gaining more knowledge about Orange
- Classification of Grafting
Grafting is a method of asexual plant propagation widely used in agriculture and horticulture where the tissues of one plant are encouraged to fuse with those of another. It is most commonly used for the propagation of trees and shrubs grown commercially. Grafting is a method of asexual plant propagation widely used in agriculture and horticulture where the tissues of one plant are encouraged to fuse with those of another. It is most commonly used for the propagation of trees and shrubs grown commercially. In most cases, one plant is selected for its roots, and this is called the stock or rootstock. The other plant is selected for its stems, leaves, flowers, or fruits and is called the scion. The scion contains the desired genes to be duplicated in future production by the stock/scion plant. 2
B. Classification of Orange
The orange is a hybrid of ancient cultivated origin, possibly between pomelo (Citrus maxima) and tangerine (Citrus reticulata). It is a small flowering tree growing to about 10 meters tall with glossy evergreen leaves, which are arranged alternately, of ovate shape with crenulate margins and 4–10 centimeters long. The white flowers tend to be very fragrant. Although originatng in Southeast Asia, the trees thrive around the world in warm-climate (tropical and sub-tropical) regions, including Brazil, Portugal, Mexico, India, Spain, North Africa, and the United States (Herbst 2001)
C. RELATION BETWEEN ORANGE AND GRAFTING SYSTEM
There are many plants or fruits who can be graft. Include
- Grafting System needs more time and careful
- Grafting system for
as same as other fruits Orange
- Influents between Grafting and Orange Result is very big
METHODOLOGY OF RESEARCH
There are 2 variable who I used to Research. Variables is “GRAFTING SYSTEM” and “ORANGES TREE”
For this research, I used qualitative method. This thing confirmed with Observation and Interviews. After that I write data when the tour guide took to me and my classmate about Grafting. And I searched data from many source.
- PRODECURE OF RESEACH
Me and My classmate went to visited Agro Education Park and seeding garden “PASIR MUKTI with 50 hactar for totaly place and 20 ha for education part. In this place, I did Observation about GRAFTING
I was interview by 2 tour guides for this Research. They is Kak Tomi and Kak Uyung for collect my datas. I gave some quention for their and They are replied my quention. Then I wrote.
With Internet, I get more Information about Grafting. Example: Scribd, Wikipedia and many more.
D. POPULASI DAN SAMPEL
- Population: Population for data is Tree who can Graft. We can invente many plants and trees can Graft
b. Sample: Sample for this data is One Orange tree. Because my reseach is
“GRAFTING SYSTEM FOR ORANGE TREE”
E. PLACE AND TIME
The Place is Taman Wisata Pasir Mukti, Citereup, Bogor, Jawa Barat and Time is Saturday, 20 November 2010
A.1. GRAFTING TECHNIQUE
Grafting is bredding plants technique who be very good to put under the ground in pot. The goal of Grafting is to reproduce and everlasting plant or fruits. Expect that, It is the one of many vegetative plants who used by everyone in the world. Except because fruit quality awakened or protected as same as essence or mother. Also the tree grow not realy tall and not really small (normal). The trees breeding with Grafting technique is ever bear fruit, hard wood or tree and there is cambium. This technique is very easy to used. The igredients of Grafting is:
INGREDIENTS AND TOOLS:
- Sharp knife
- Citrus trees from which to cut bud grafts
- Orange trees
- Budding tape
Graft has many medias what used to Grafting system. Thehe are:
- Cocopit or Fibrous hust in coconut
- Mixing between Manure from animal waste or manure with Soil (1:1)
- If there is Bamboo at around Garden, then Soil in Ground who have mixed with Bamboo leafs manure and already stinky.:
- Wait until spring and Beginning of Rain Season for Tropical Country to initiate the grafting process. The best time to cut and insert grafts is when the tree is on the cusp of once again entering the active growing season. If you miss that auspicious moment in time, rest assured that the majority of grafts made between April and September will grow well and produce ample citrus in years to come.
- Cut a number of 10- to 12-inch long bud graft branches from a healthy tree. These should be copiously budded branches from last year’s growth. Resist the temptation to use grafts from this year’s wood, since these will generally not result in successful grafts. Use a very sharp knife for this undertaking; you do not want to risk any splintering of the graft base.
- Choose the locations on your orange trees where you want to place the grafts. For best results, it is advisable to place the bud grafts about six to 10 inches off the ground, not higher. The closer to the ground you insert the graft, the more undiluted the nutrients, water and sap the graft receives. The higher up you place the graft, the greater the chance is of it either dying off or taking overly long to become a strong branch
- Make a 1½-inch cut in the shape of a “T” at the grafting location of your choice. Use a sharp knife to do so and make certain to cut well below the bark into the tree’s actual wood.
- Pick up the first bud graft branch and choose the biggest bud. With a sharp knife, gently excise the bud and a thick splinter of wood--as well as bark--to which it is attached.
- Uncover the wood underneath the “T” cut in your orange tree by gently lifting up the bark.
- Gently insert the wood sliver with the attached bud. Start at the top of the “T” and move downward. The bud will be held in place by the target tree’s bark
- Repeat Steps 4 through 8 for each graft you want to insert into your orange trees
- Remove the budding tape after 21 to 28 days. Successful grafts will show as green, healthy buds; failed grafts usually are limp and may have rotted away already. For reduce evaporation at the time of planting, the leaves on the graft can be reduced.
- Wrap budding tape underneath and above the graft. The goal is to prevent any movement that might hinter the integration of the bud graft into the actual wood of the orange tree. The tape also avoids moisture loss and premature callusing at the grafting site.
Specialty seeding with Grafting System:
- Fruit production and fruit quality will be same as mother plants
- The plants with Grafting system can put under the ground who high ground water or Fish pool raised path.
Shortage seeding with Grafting system:
- In long- time dry season, plant can’t resistant dry
- Plants can fallen if there are tight wind because not steep
- In a one mother plant, can only Graft for a few of trunk.
A.2. GRAFT NURSING
Graft should be treated in a way watered regularly so as not to dry or grafts were positioned above the water-filled plastic bag with a hole as small as a needle for drip irrigation or by using pieces of bamboo to "tube" diameter of 5 cm filled with water, without a hole just scraped / peeled slightly below the skin which will be attached above the media hang. Tube above the bottom tube graft with a position closer to the middle position or rope slips attached Graft. This tube can last for 3 days. For ideal place on lowland.
And if the weather Rain, in flush 2 days or if the hot weather in the morning and evening watering regularly and make sure the correct position of grafting for it remains moist soil cover. It’s better if can be Graft on Beginning of Rain Season. In addition, by grafting at the beginning of the rainy season will be more time to plant the slips in the season too (Rishan Anwar , 2008).
An experiment conducted to determine the effect of treatments Substance Growth regulator (Rootone-F) and the media against graft.
The reality is that the grafts with the media treatment of soil with
Rootone gift-F causes the roots more quickly out and the number is more
much the same condition can also be seen in the media of compost with
Rootone-F. The opposite occurs in both media without Rootone-F root
will further slow out and the number is small. This can be explained that
Rootone-F is one of growth regulators for root induction. (Abidin, 1990)
Except that, there are many factors who Influence for Growing plants with Grafting system:
1. Temperature and season
4. Factor of cleaning cambium, glue the loose soil, combined with other crops
Baca secara fonetik
B. HYPOTHESIS TESTING
From my earlier discussion of the exam that my hypothesos could be accepted. Because it is very Influential on the plant. This was proved by some evidence or proof that there are factors. Manner similiar to other citrus grafting only have a few differents. How to treat the, the same way as other treatments
From Reseach Result, I’m conclute that Grafting is one of many vegetative technique system and multiplication fruit technique who needs more time and more accurate until the Influences is big for produce good fruits
I hope this Research , the readers can get benefits and more Informstion about Grafting system or can too for reference for Next Examine.
- For Agro educational park Pasir Mukti: I hope more plants and tree can be Grafting, Fasility more well than before until the visitor feels Confortable during they in Pasir Mukti.
- For Agro Educational Park Pasir Mukti: Their science more until When a people ask to their about a thing, They know and the visitors understands
- For PB. Soedorman International Islamic Junior High school:
- I hope this program can be continue next year
- This Science can be leon in the Biology Subject and do it in many Agro Holiculture place.
2.Ray R. Rothenberger and Christopher J. Starbuck Department of Horticulture University of Missouri, USA by websibe
Saktiyono. 2007. IPA BIOLOGI 3: KELAS 9. Jakarta. Esis Penerbit Erlangga
The Writer was born in Jakarta on January 30th 1996, from Mr. Ir. Robi Djohan ( Father) and Mrs. Dr. Fitriah Sherly Marleen ( Mother). Writer is the first child of Three children. The sisters are Shania Adhanty ( 12 years old, 7th Grade SMPN 179 Jakarta) and Rania Faira ( 2,5 Years old)
The Writer finished her Elementary School at PB Soedirman Islamic Elementary School, Jakarta at 2008. Then continue her School at PB Soedirman International Junior High School, Jakarta.
Before this research, She and her group was observe on Gontor Islamic Boarding School for Girls, Ngawi, East Java about “ TEACHING METHOD IN GONTOR PUTRI”. Now, with Individual, the Writer Wrote this Observe. Observe title is “ GRAFTING SYSTEM FOR ORANGE TREE” for finished her tasks at Foreign Lauguege Class. This, Research will be meeting on Saturday, 29th January 2011.
Now, She lives in Cimanggis, Depok, West Java with her Family. The writer’s Hobby is Writing Story, Reading book, Listening of music and wacthing film.